Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday


Today was a very "Copenhagen student" day what with the classes, shopping, and dining out. 
  • In Photojournalism, we spent the class overanalyzing photographs from a 1940 Life magazine. He had us come closer to the projector to see better so we had to stand the whole class. I made sure to stand by the window so I sat on the windowsill. It was a boring class. In the last minute of class, he told us we had to take 40 pictures like the ones we'd seen for next class. Great. 
  • In Human Trafficking, we talked about the Palermo protocol which sounds like the most important document in defining human trafficking. We got into small groups and looked at 3 situations and decided if it was prostitution, trafficking, or smuggling. It was harder than we thought. 
  • I had to turn in my Copenhagen Post application today and I had a heck of a time finding where to turn it in. It was confusing because the woman recently moved offices and because there is the DIS Communication office and the Communication and Mass Media program office. I wanted the latter. I would go to one building and be told I needed to go to the other building and vice versa. It was a nightmare. I eventually found her office and turned it in. 
  • I met up with my host sister Julia in Copenhagen around 3:30. We went shopping along Stroget. It's shocking how expensive everything is. If you do the price conversion to dollars in your head, it makes you not want to buy anything. I bought eyeliner and some socks while Julia bought a tank top and some makeup primer. 
  • For my first Danish meal out of the house, it wasn't very Danish. We ate dinner at a sushi place that had rotating sushi. I had only seen food on a conveyor belt like that in a tv show, never in real life. I ordered the same thing she did, just to be safe and I really liked it. There were california rolls, tuna, salmon, and shrimp over sticky rice. I had to ask for a fork and a knife while Julia used chopsticks. We also got cupcakes from Agnes Cupcakes that we ate at the handball game. I got a Lemon Meringue cupcake while Julia got the Chocolate one.  
  • the rotating sushi on the conveyor belt
  • We took the S train to see Tim's handball game. It was kind of like intramural basketball or like high school basketball in the sense that it was in a gym and there weren't a lot of people there. Tim's team didn't play very well in the first half but turned it around in the second half and ended up winning. 
  • Tim drove us home and I found it neat that highways and driving is pretty similar as in America. I also found it interesting how Tim and Julia prefer driving over taking the train. I had a stereotype in my mind that Danes didn't like driving because it was bad for the environment. Nope. 



I can't get over the fact that the microwave insults me. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment