Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Even the pigeons are cold

Vesterboro in the snow
I woke up to a Danish snow globe outside my window. There was more snow on the ground as well as soft snow falling.  I wish it would be spring of course but I secretly love the snow and am happy it is not windy. I can do cold snow but not cold wind.

This morning I met my Human Trafficking class in Vesterboro at a center for counseling for foreign women. It is a place where street prostitutes can come get a hot drink, use the bathroom, watch tv, talk with a counselor, see a doctor, etc. A woman explained to us what they do and what problems she has seen. This is a very eye opening class to me. I wasn't aware of how large and corrupt the sex industry is. It's really sad how many girls are trafficked and how little social workers can legally help them.

What the inside of Mother looks like. 
Panini and cappuccino
I walked a couple blocks to the Meat Packing District and ate lunch at a place our tour guide recommended when I did a tour of Vesterboro a couple weeks ago. It's called Mother. On our tour, which was on a Sunday morning, it was so crowded we couldn't get a table. On a Wednesday morning, I was the only one there. I could still see why everyone recommends the place. The food was so healthy and unique and the staff was friendly. I ordered a cappuccino, water, and a panini that had goat cheese, butter squash  spinach, onions, red peppers, and other things. It was not something I would normally eat or order off a menu because of how exotic it is. The waitress and I chatted about how she used to live in London and study sociology and how there were a lot of DIS American students in Copenhagen.

After my leisurely lunch, I walked back to DIS. On the way, I found the Danish Design Museum  I was all excited to go inside but instead found a tiny sign that said they are closed until early April. Not cool. I still really like just walking around central Copenhagen around Tivoli. It's eye opening.
I did some homework in a computer lab, interviewed my creative travel writing professor about UK tourism being affected by the recent financial crisis (for my international reporting article), and came back to do more homework. I would have just gone home but I have a meeting at 5 pm.

Pretty pictures I took today!

So snowy

Coolest graffiti art 

Facade painted onto building in meat packing district

My lunch!

Where I are lunch

Hans Christian Anderson?

I'm 98% sure this cool guy is Hans Christian Anderson

Tivoli sign in the city

Copenhagen's city center

I think this is the Parliament or city hall

You know it's cold when the pigeons are cold. 


Banana, peanut butter, chocolate chip, and Nutella muffins. Here is the recipe. Thanks to Grandmama for the measuring cups.  

They came out great. But a little salty actually. 


My host mom also baked today. She made rye bread muffins with chocolate for lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment